Visa Information

The following information is a summary of the Visa Waiver Program. Please access the U.S. Department of State web site for complete details.

On a reciprocal basis, citizens of participating countries may enter the U.S. for short-term business or tourist visits without having to obtain a B-1/B-2 visa stamp at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

The Visa Waiver Program is administered by the airlines, both U.S. and foreign carriers participate. Check with the airline directly to confirm participation. Criteria for eligibility are:

  • Must have a Machine-Readable Passport from a participating country with validity date six months beyond the intended visit,
  • Must travel on a participating airline,
  • Must have a round-trip ticket, and
  • The visit can NOT exceed 90 days.

Countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) are:

Andorra Iceland Norway
Austria Ireland Portugal
Australia Italy San Marino
Belgium Japan Singapore
Brunei Liechtenstein Slovenia
Denmark Luxembourg Spain
Finland Monaco Sweden
France Netherlands Switzerland
Germany New Zealand United Kingdom *

*United Kingdom- for citizens with the unrestricted right of permanent abode in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

Travelers need to express the purpose of their visit to the Immigration Officer at their port of entry to obtain either WB (Waiver for Business) or WT (Waiver for Tourist) status on their I-94 Arrival/Departure Card. Any error should be corrected prior to leaving the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) inspection area. Visitors are urged to speak with a CBP supervisor if necessary.

NOTE: Status and length of stay as a visitor to the U.S. are defined by what is written on the I-94 Arrival/Departure Card by the U.S. CBP immigration officer upon entry. Extensions of stay or changes to another visa status are NOT available.

The WB visitor (equivalent to the B-1 visitor for business) is on assignment in the U.S. as a representative of their foreign employer. No U.S.-based salary or fellowship payments are permitted. However, reimbursement of normal and usual travel expenses, for business purposes, is permitted.

NB: The WB or B-1 is the appropriate status for most international visitors to SLAC.

If you have further questions regarding your visa, please contact us.

If your country does NOT participate in the VWP (Obtaining a B-1 or B-2 Visa)

If your country does not participate in the VWP, you must obtain a B-1 (business) or B-2 (tourist) visa before entering the US. Information on the B-1 and B-2 visas can be found at US Embassies or Consulates.

Please note that obtaining a B-1 or B-2 visa can be a lengthy process, so begin the process of obtaining a visa soon.

Registration is necessary to participate in the workshop. There is no registration fee for this workshop. Register
A block of 40 rooms is reserved until Oct 7, 2007 at the Stanford Guest House. Please reserve your room early and mention that you are attending this workshop.
More Information