US High Gradient Research Collaboration Workshop 2007   SLAC

Visa Information

Under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), citizens of participating countries may enter the US for short-term business or tourist visits without having to obtain B-1 or B-2 visa stamps at the US Embassies or Consulates (for information on obtaining a B-1 or B-2 visa, please see below).

The VWP is administered by the airlines; both US and foreign carriers participate.

Criteria for eligibility for the VWP are:

  • Valid passport from a participating country, with the validity date 6 months beyond intended visit
  • Travel on a participating airline
  • Round-trip ticketing
  • Visit not to exceed 90 days

Countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) are:

Andorra Iceland Norway
Austria Ireland Portugal
Australia Italy San Marino
Belgium Japan Singapore
Brunei Liechtenstein Slovenia
Denmark Luxembourg Spain
Finland Monaco Sweden
France Netherlands Switzerland
Germany New Zealand United Kingdom

If you have further questions regarding your visa, please contact us.

If your country does participate in the VWP

No extension of stay to another visa status is available. Travelers need to express the purpose of their visit to the immigration officer at their port of entry to obtain a WB status on their I-94 arrival/departure card. Do not accept a WT (waiver tourist) status visa. Any error should be corrected prior to leaving the BCBP inspection area; visitors are urged to speak with a BCBP supervisor as necessary. Note: Status and length of stay as a visitor to the US is defined by what is written on the I-94 card by the BCBP officer upon entry.

The WB visitor (equivalent to the B-1 visitor for business) is on assignment in the US as a representative of their foreign employer. No US-based salary of fellowship payments are permitted. However, reimbursement of normal and usual expenses, for business purposes is permitted.

For complete and up-to-date Visa Waiver Program information please see BCIS information.

If your country does NOT participate in the VWP (Obtaining a B-1 or B-2 Visa)

If your country does not participate in the VWP, you must obtain a B-1 (business) or B-2 (tourist) visa before entering the US. Information on the B-1 and B-2 visas can be found at US Embassies or Consulates.

Please note that obtaining a B-1 or B-2 visa can be a lengthy process, so begin the process of obtaining a visa soon.

Last update: September 02, 2010