XLDB - Extremely Large Databases

Visa Information

The following information is a summary of the Visa Waiver Program. Please access the U.S. Department of State web site for complete details.

On a reciprocal basis, citizens of participating countries may enter the U.S. for short-term business or tourist visits without having to obtain a B-1/B-2 visa stamp at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

The Visa Waiver Program is administered by the airlines, both U.S. and foreign carriers participate. Check with the airline directly to confirm participation. Criteria for eligibility are:

  • Must have a Machine-Readable Passport from a participating country with validity date six months beyond the intended visit,
  • Must travel on a participating airline,
  • Must have a round-trip ticket, and
  • The visit can NOT exceed 90 days.

For countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) please refer to the  U.S. Department of State web site.

Travelers need to express the purpose of their visit to the Immigration Officer at their port of entry to obtain either WB (Waiver for Business) or WT (Waiver for Tourist) status on their I-94 Arrival/Departure Card. Any error should be corrected prior to leaving the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) inspection area. Visitors are urged to speak with a CBP supervisor if necessary.

NOTE: Status and length of stay as a visitor to the U.S. are defined by what is written on the I-94 Arrival/Departure Card by the U.S. CBP immigration officer upon entry. Extensions of stay or changes to another visa status are NOT available.

The WB visitor (equivalent to the B-1 visitor for business) is on assignment in the U.S. as a representative of their foreign employer. No U.S.-based salary or fellowship payments are permitted. However, reimbursement of normal and usual travel expenses, for business purposes, is permitted.

NB: The WB or B-1 is the appropriate status for most international visitors to SLAC.

If you have further questions regarding your visa, please contact us.

If your country does NOT participate in the VWP (Obtaining a B-1 or B-2 Visa)

If your country does not participate in the VWP, you must obtain a B-1 (business) or B-2 (tourist) visa before entering the US. Information on the B-1 and B-2 visas can be found at US Embassies or Consulates.

Please note that obtaining a B-1 or B-2 visa can be a lengthy process, so begin the process of obtaining a visa soon.

Join XLDB on LinkedIn
Follow XLDBConf on Twitter
Platinum Sponsors

Metascale Logo

Vertica Logo

Gold Sponsors

LinkedIn Logo

Exxon Mobil Logo

IBM Logo

Intersystems Logo

chevron Logo

Silver Sponsors

Cloudera Logo

SciDB and Paradigm4 Logos

Hypertable Logo

MonetDB Logo


Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation Logo

Stanford University does not purchase or endorse any sponsors’ products or services.
Privacy Statement -